The competitive environment in the telecommunications sector, the difficult worldwide economic situation, the fast technological development and the new service and network requirements have pushed techno-economic studies to be one of the most important decision factors for all the telecommunication actors.
Most of the existing studies focused on the network infrastructure and underestimated the importance of operational costs such as maintenance, failure repair, power, etc. Hence, this work package will define and soundly classify all the different types of cost of future access networks.
This classification will be based on the requirements, architectures and system descriptions delivered by WP2, WP3 and WP4 respectively.
A clear definition of CapEx and OpEx will be proposed.
Main WP5 objectives can be summarized as follows:
• Survey of existing methods and tools and selection of the most suitable ones for NG-OA networks (year 1)
• Soundly cost classification to perform a detailed cost evaluation (year 1)
• Detailed and accurate process-based cost modelling able to identify the cost drivers (year 2)
• Implementation of a TCO evaluation tool (first version in year 2, complete version in year 3)
• Analysis of different case studies, which would allow operators to identify the most cost effective fibre roll out strategies given the deployment area, business scenario, etc. (year 3)
• Cost assessment of other work packages’ scenarios as for example, refinement on the architecture to decrease its associated cost. (year 3)
Go to the WP5 deliverables here!